- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 250g Highveld button mushrooms, sliced
- 60ml butter
- 60ml flour
- 500ml milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 50g fresh Parmesan, finely grated
- 200g ham, chopped (optional)
- 500g fresh tagliatelle
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Parmesan shavings to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onion until translucent, about three minutes. Increase the heat and add the mushrooms and garlic, stirring often, cook until just tender.
- In a separate pot, melt the butter and stir in the flour. The mixture should come together to form a ball. Keep stirring and cook for one minute before you start adding the milk, a small amount at a time and whisking continuously, until you have added all the milk and you have a smooth white sauce. Season to taste and stir through the grated Parmesan.
- Add the sauce to the cooked mushroom and onion mixture, along with the ham if you are using this. Check the seasoning.
- Just before serving boil the pasta in plenty of salted boiling water and cook until just tender. (Fresh pasta shouldn’t take more than a few minutes).
- Warm the sauce, stir through the pasta and serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley.
Copyright Highveld Mushrooms