Serves 4 as a starter
- 100g pearl barley
- 30ml butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250g Highveld open brown mushrooms, thickly sliced
- grated nutmeg to taste
- 600ml good quality vegetable or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 125ml soured cream or crème fraiche
- splash of sherry to serve
- Soak the barley in water for a few hours to soften.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the drained barley, garlic and onion and sauté until the onion is just translucent. Add the mushrooms, barley and nutmeg and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and heat thoroughly. Check the seasoning after adding the stock as some off-the-shelf varieties can be very salty.
- Finally just before serving add the soured cream to the hot soup and at the table offer guests a splash of sherry to finish.
Copyright Highveld Mushrooms