Serves 4 as a side dish
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250g Highveld open brown mushrooms, sliced
- 30ml fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 30 ml fresh thyme, woody stalks removed
- 500g baking potatoes, thinly sliced
- 150g leeks, thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 250ml fresh cream
- grated nutmeg to taste
- 30g fresh breadcrumbs
- 30g grated fresh parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat the olive oil and lightly fry the garlic and mushrooms together. Stir in the fresh herbs, season to taste and keep aside.
- Layer half the potatoes and leeks in a greased ovenproof dish, season to taste and top with half of the mushroom mixture. Continue with the remaining potatoes, leeks and mushrooms.
- Pour the cream over the top, sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes.
- Finally mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle over the top of the dish, bake uncovered, until the potatoes are cooked and the crumbs golden, about 25 minutes.
Copyright Highveld Mushrooms